Below is a study/guide
of most of the individual components of this costume.
Aside from hand
matching fabrics, items that I cannot physically hold are best created
by duplicating poses and studying what items need adjustment.
The tricorn was made
by having hands on access to an actual Depp hat, that was auctioned
from Disney. The leather and pattern were matched, and the color as
best as possible, with a mix of various dyes.
The headscarf was made
by matching the fabric as best as possible, dyeing and hand drawing
all of the floral designs on, as detailed as possible. The coins &
beads were matched up closely, both in color and shape/scale. Scale
was determined my finding elements in a picture, whole dimensions were
known exactly. Photos were then scaled to life size, and bead sizes
were taken from there.
The shirt was made with
a handkerchief linen, with handmade tassels and hand stitched. All measurements
taken directly from a screen used shirt.
The waistcoat was also
measured from a screen used piece. Linen weight and color were matched
as close as possible, through many dye baths, and then aged. Buttons
were cast in pewter, from a button of the identical size. Reverse of
coat (not pictured) was made in linen, with numerous pinstripes machine
stitched into it.
Breeches were also made
to be identical, from inside out (including the same inner waistband
pattern). Buckles at the base of the legs were cast from an actual screen
used pair, and buttons were matched up to those of the stunt pair. Breeches
also made from a specially dyed linen.
Belt buckle was cast
directly from a screen used buckle, and aged.
The baldric was sculpted
by myself, and cast in pewter, to the exact dimensions of the screen
used piece, and aged.
The ring was cast directly
from one of the stunt rings, used for filming. The stone appears black,
but it is indeed green glass, just as the actual rings.
The cutlass was made
exactly like the originals, with painstaking detail. Aged
aluminum blade, with brass pommel, ebony grip, and heavily aged steel
Cast in resin, and painted
to look aged.
Made from ebony, just
as the original, with measurements taken directly from a copy of the
stunt compass. Inner details were sculpted and cast in pewter, with
bone inlay work.
The only part of the
costume that I did not make. Previous versions were ones I had made,
the last pair being perfected. A few months ago, caboots.com began selling
leftover boots that they had been making for the production of the sequels.
Even though mine had no problems to them, I decided that buying a pair
would be the next best thing to what was worn on screen, since they
were 100% exact to what was used. They have since sold out of them,
and continue to sell their old style, with the incorrect shade of suede
and incorrect sole.
For information on how
to make your own boots, I have made a tutorial: http://www.sithcamaro.com/boottut
Made from the same multicolored
linen raffia weave, and aged. Measurements and buttons were taken directly
from a screen used coat, and button hole decor matched as close as possible.